When I was in fifth grade, our class got a new transfer student–let’s call her Brenda. One of my best friends, Erin, was instantly obsessed with Brenda because Brenda came from a school that Erin’s crush attended. Erin always wanted to hang out with Brenda to ask questions about this boy, to talk about this boy, to relay info to this boy.
I did not like this.
Erin was my friend and Brenda thought she was just gonna come in and replace me?! No. I would shoot dirty looks at Brenda, ignore her–just be an all around jackass toward her. Then one day Erin said to me, “You’re being weird about Brenda.” And ten-year-old Kristin responded, “I’m being weird?! I’m being weird?! Me?!”
And then I thought, wait bitch, I am being weird.
It was then that I became aware of my possessiveness–and, no, it hasn’t subsided. What can I say–Venus was in Scorpio when I was born. But, I have kept the crazy under lock and key since then. Mostly.
I’m having to push the crazy way down deep to share this artist with you guys.
No–she’s not. Everyone should get to enjoy her work and I have to share her with you because her abstract artwork is stunning. Her name is Boriana Mihailovska. I first found out about Boriana’s art from one of Gemary’s YouTube videos. I’m also obsessed with Gemary, but that’s for another blog post!
Look at these drawings! I can’t wait to get a third one to complete this little area in my bedroom. I dare you to check out her Etsy store and not fall in love with something. But like…something else other than the ones I bought. Don’t make me shoot you dirty looks and give you the silent treatment.
Do you like these art pieces? What’s your favorite style of art? Anyone else born while Venus was in Scorpio? Let’s commiserate!
I’ve made a pact with myself to try to be more mindful of what I buy and how much I buy. Just because I like something, doesn’t mean I need it. I’m still working out my “no” muscles. They’re jiggly, but they have gotten stronger. A stuffed closet and cluttered home really bothers my peace of mind. I can’t relax when I’m looking at a bunch of stuff surrounding me. So I cleared out a bunch of stuff and now I try to only buy pieces that I’ll have and love and use for a long time. I’m trying to live a curated life! It’s more elegant, isn’t it?
So, while I haven’t bought a ton of stuff this year so far, here are a few things that I bought and can’t stop salivating over.
1. I had a really hard time finding the perfect, high-quality straw hat. I didn’t want a fedora or a floppy hat. I wear this panama hat way more than I should, but I’m not sorry.
2. When I discovered how wearing blush can make you look so healthy and glow-y and fresh, I haven’t been able to stop using it. On days when I want minimal makeup, I pat on this blush (very little, it’s pigmented!) and it melts into my skin like butter. It doesn’t last that long, but I also touch my face a lot so I may not be the best judge of wear time. The formula is beautiful, though!
3. I was recently in Chicago and in a hotel where there were cesca(ish). I fell in love. They just give off such a bohemian, Miami, industrial, vintage vibe all in one! Don’t look at me like that–it’s a thing.
4. Sometimes I go too far in the modern direction in my place and it starts feeling cold and museum-y. Plants instantly bring it right back around to cozy and organic and relaxed. And this straw basket?! Obsessed. I’m currently trying to assess if I need more. I think I might.
These are the things that I’m loving, but what about you? What things are you feeling as the weather gets warmer? Tell me in the comments below!
Sometimes I’m into art as decor. And sometimes I’m really into art as decor. I’m definitely going through the extreme phase right now. I want art on every wall from floor to ceiling. I’ve been able to talk myself out of such an aesthetic in my own house (for now), but I’m only able to do that because I know that I can share all of my obsessions with you. My tastes lean mostly toward the abstract and the linear. But I could be convinced to to try something different if it were the right something different. For now, let me just show you some things I know I love.
What are some of your favorite places to buy prints and paintings? Who are your favorite artists? Let me know!
Vases are my favorite accent pieces. They are such an easy way to change or establish the look you’re going for in your space. I like to go for the ones that make a significant impact in a room. Along with my love of vases comes the revelation that I am no florist. That’s definitely a skill and a talent that I do not possess. So by necessity, I also keep the floral arrangement (if you can call it that) simple. But it’s my goal one day to have a showstopping vase and floral arrangement in the foyer that everyone sees immediately upon entry.
I regularly browse vases online because I can’t help myself. Should you feel the same way about vases as I do, let me share with you five that I really love!
I have a hard time making decisions about things I like when I’m shopping. This leads to me buying everything I like, then returning ninety percent of my purchases later. Not a good system, but I’m working on it. I’m also working on buying less by way of only buying things that I love certainly, one hundred percent. Here are the things I bought in January that made the cut.
1. The Nest Diffuser in the grapefruit fragrance. I love a good citrus scent, and this one is very powerful. It scents a large room or foyer. Mine was too strong for the room I put it in, so I had to remove some of the reeds, and that fixed the (fancy) problem!
2. I have very curly and very ornery hair. It don’t listen to nobody, including me. But at least now it stays moisturized! The scent on this is kind of earthy and the texture is pretty thick and nourishing.
3. I’ll be honest with you here and admit that I can’t resist snakeskin. You can give me almost anything snakeskin, and I’ll probably flip over it. I did with this pillow from Zara Home. I bought it in the sale and it was only $5.90. Six dollars! It does have a white back to it, which I was skeptical about initially, but it just doesn’t make a difference when it’s sitting on my chair. I don’t even see it.
4. Whoo boy, this candle is strong! It scents a small room even when it’s not lit. It smells immediately of plums and peonies but has a deeper, slightly masculine base. And the packaging–I live for the packaging.
5. Where do I even start? Black matte silverware! These have made my dinner parties (i.e. cheese and wine parties with my friends) so chic. Everyone who has seen them buys them for themselves. Seriously. Except my mom. She thinks they’re ridiculous. Hey, you can’t please everyone!
Do you have any of these items? What are some of your favorite things you bought last month?
I’m a major photography enthusiast. Wait–that sounds like I know the names of very talented and influential photographers. I don’t. What I mean is I love to look at beautiful and interesting photos (and sometimes try to create my own!). Thus my love for the coffee table book. There is no easier way to turn a bland surface into a sophisticated display or an empty corner into a riveting accent.
I could look at coffee table books for hours! Here are some of my favorites: