Sometimes I’m into art as decor. And sometimes I’m really into art as decor. I’m definitely going through the extreme phase right now. I want art on every wall from floor to ceiling. I’ve been able to talk myself out of such an aesthetic in my own house (for now), but I’m only able to do that because I know that I can share all of my obsessions with you. My tastes lean mostly toward the abstract and the linear. But I could be convinced to to try something different if it were the right something different. For now, let me just show you some things I know I love.
What are some of your favorite places to buy prints and paintings? Who are your favorite artists? Let me know!
I have a hard time making decisions about things I like when I’m shopping. This leads to me buying everything I like, then returning ninety percent of my purchases later. Not a good system, but I’m working on it. I’m also working on buying less by way of only buying things that I love certainly, one hundred percent. Here are the things I bought in January that made the cut.
1. The Nest Diffuser in the grapefruit fragrance. I love a good citrus scent, and this one is very powerful. It scents a large room or foyer. Mine was too strong for the room I put it in, so I had to remove some of the reeds, and that fixed the (fancy) problem!
2. I have very curly and very ornery hair. It don’t listen to nobody, including me. But at least now it stays moisturized! The scent on this is kind of earthy and the texture is pretty thick and nourishing.
3. I’ll be honest with you here and admit that I can’t resist snakeskin. You can give me almost anything snakeskin, and I’ll probably flip over it. I did with this pillow from Zara Home. I bought it in the sale and it was only $5.90. Six dollars! It does have a white back to it, which I was skeptical about initially, but it just doesn’t make a difference when it’s sitting on my chair. I don’t even see it.
4. Whoo boy, this candle is strong! It scents a small room even when it’s not lit. It smells immediately of plums and peonies but has a deeper, slightly masculine base. And the packaging–I live for the packaging.
5. Where do I even start? Black matte silverware! These have made my dinner parties (i.e. cheese and wine parties with my friends) so chic. Everyone who has seen them buys them for themselves. Seriously. Except my mom. She thinks they’re ridiculous. Hey, you can’t please everyone!
Do you have any of these items? What are some of your favorite things you bought last month?
I’m a major photography enthusiast. Wait–that sounds like I know the names of very talented and influential photographers. I don’t. What I mean is I love to look at beautiful and interesting photos (and sometimes try to create my own!). Thus my love for the coffee table book. There is no easier way to turn a bland surface into a sophisticated display or an empty corner into a riveting accent.
I could look at coffee table books for hours! Here are some of my favorites:
I recently visited my sister and I noticed some key decor style differences. My sister likes little groupings of things. Multiple picture frames on the bookcases, clusters of candles, stacks of records, gallery walls… I’m nearly the exact opposite. I like minimal amounts of items, but I like them so big that they’re slapping you in the face as soon as you step inside. One painting that covers most of a wall. Sculpturally interesting furniture that speaks for itself eliminating the need for lots of accents. Plenty of texture: woods, faux fur, leather, silk, velvet… One thing I’m consumed with right now is floral centerpieces. But artful floral centerpieces. Floral arrangements that smack you in the face as soon as you walk into a room. Take a look…
My favorite is the first arrangement, but I love them all! What about you? Which is your favorite? Have you considered flowers as an impactful decor option?
Once a strict neutrals-only girl, I’ve found myself trying more color. Slowly at first, dipping my toe in with a mustard throw or a painting with splashes of cobalt, then diving in head first with emerald ottomans and jewel-toned rugs.
I can’t say that I’m a fan of all colors now, or even most. But there are a few that I’m obsessed with at the moment, and blue is one. Zara Home’s blue game is strong right now. I’m trying not to hand over all of my cash.
What colors are you loving for your home right now? What’s your go-to store for home decor?